Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Are We Really Learning?

Sometimes it feels like I just sit in front of my computer and think about all the things I can't yet put into practice. Yes, I am talking about graduate school. This summer I am taking 3 graduate level courses including a school finance course, an educational law course, and a public relations course all in preparation for my {maybe someday} administration position {that I don't even know if I want}.

While I would NEVER tell my second graders that school is miserable it seems like all I do is complete endless piles of busy work to jump through the hoops that is graduate school. I can be honest with you...school stinks {just not in my classroom}!

I want to learn. I want to be taught the things that I need to know to eventually consider going into administration. How am I supposed to learn when all my teachers do is throw assignments at me day after day (in this case for 14 straight days)? I wonder if this system ever be corrected? Will I see the day when it isn't about completing this post or that paper only to just "get a grade?"

I can tell you from experience that "experience" is the only thing that can prepare you for a position in a school. It is a very challenging and demanding job and while I wouldn't trade it for the world I do think we need practical experience in order to learn. I just wish there was a way to change the universities M.O. I want them to see that John and I are paying over $20,000 a year to get a piece of paper and then a pay raise. It seems sad. Why doesn't anyone want to really learn anymore?

I needed to get that out. Back to the grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik