Tuesday, November 6, 2012

...And We're Back

So much has happened since my last post.  Maternity pictures are a thing of the past and the twins are officially here (and have been for over two months)!  We went from maternity pictures to newborn pictures literally in a matter of days.  We thought we had tons of time...boy were we wrong...

So the story goes like this...

It was August 23, 2012.  I got ready for the second day of school (at my new job at Woodfill Elementary School).  It was a normal morning.  I really wasn't feeling anything out of the ordinary; no contractions, no pain; just the anxiety of my growing "to do" list.  Because I wanted to leave early to get a few extra things checked off my list John and I drove separately.  So I stopped for a pineapple mango smoothie at McDonalds (my favorite) and then made my way to school.  I climbed the stairs to get to my new classroom with my usual load from the car, and turned on my computer.  I had lesson plans but wanted to adjust a few things based on the previous day so I sat down and got to work.  I finally had my act together and stood up to make copies.  As soon as I stood up I felt a gush of liquid.   I knew immediately what was happening but fear took over when I remembered I was only 33 weeks and 1 day pregnant.

I searched frantically for my phone and called John at 7:03 am.  He answered pretty quickly assuming I needed something I forgot at home.  When he answered tears rushed to my eyes and I told him I thought my water broke.  There was shock in his voice when he said, "I'll be right there."  In the hallway I saw Allison, Shelby, and Anne, three teachers that I work closely with (or will work closely with).  They saw my face and came right into my classroom.  I told them I thought my water broke and after seeing the puddles on the floor they all agreed.

When John got to school he quickly (with the help of many others) put me on the elevator and got me into our car.  We drove towards the hospital in disbelief (me with a trash bag in my hand that someone had given us for me to sit on...).  All I could think was this wasn't supposed to be happening.  Not only was it the first week of school but we had plans to tour the Labor and Delivery Unit of the hospital and ready the house on Saturday.  Most importantly the babies were only 33 weeks.  I kept going back to that...we were told from the beginning of the entire pregnancy full term was 36 weeks.  We were calm on the outside {for each other} but extremely nervous and scared on the inside.      

There is so much more to this story but as I write I can't think of anything else more important than just getting to the point...the babies!  We were in the hospital less than 4 hours before they offered me an epidural and told me the babies were on their way.  Everyone including; 5 nurses for the babies (2 for each baby as well as the nurse in charge), my doctor, three student nurses, my original nurse, the anesthesiologist, and several other people I can't remember were in the room ready to take care of the babies as well as me.  Macy came pretty quickly at 1:10 pm and weighed 4 lbs. 1 oz.  The delivery up until that point was pretty uneventful but once Macy was born that is when John's heart rate started dropping.  They were about to perform an emergency c-section when the doctor gave me one more chance to deliver naturally. Together I pushed (and he pulled) and John was born at 1:20 in the afternoon weighing in at 4 lbs. 2 oz.

Our lives since their birth has been full of blessings; from family and friends coming to help while we get adjusted to our new role, meals being brought to our home, and cards pouring out of our mailbox each time I check the mail.  We feel so grateful, but more importantly we feel privileged that God has entrusted these two little people to us.  We are their parents and we can't wait to see what God has in store for their lives.







2 comments:

  1. Casey, I know this is a little late in coming, but I had missed this update. I checked back several times and saw the one below (I believe it was your pregnancy pics)...anyway, this is a GREAT account of your day. I can see, actually see, this all unfolding. So proud of you, so happy for you and hubs, and love the practical insight you have. You tell a story so well. The babies are amazing. They are adorable, I love the photos. Blessings dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet baby Macy and Lil'J. I look at these pictures and cannot believe that you are already as big as you are. You are growing so fast and getting more amazing and beautiful everyday! We are all so blessed to have you in your lives. To Mommy and Daddy, I am in awe every time I see you with these sweet little blessings. You guys are naturals and I can't imagine two better people to be chosen to raise these sweet little angels. God Bless the G's and know that we love you so very much!
    Shay

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik