Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Sacred

Just a day or two ago I was reading from this book that I have called Savor: Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are.  The entire passage kind of made my heart smile because it is something I have felt for awhile but could never quite put into words.  In this passage she talks about "the sacred" and "the daily."

"There's normal life; day-to-day, make breakfast, do-the-dishes life, but just underneath that, like a throb of bass you feel in your chest, I feel a whole other thing going on.  There is something sacred, something special dipping and weaving within the same old thing, like a firefly, like a great song.  The sacred mixes in with the daily when you have a conversation with someone you love, or when you read a great book, or when you do something courageous."

Why haven't I ever been able to put those words down on paper?  Even more importantly; thank you Shauna Niequist for writing the words God put in your heart for all of us women to ache over because we get it!  Those sacred things are what make the daily things feel less hard.  We have this moment  of pure joy that fills our entire being and makes us able to keep going.  This passage fit the title of the book perfectly.  Savoring those moments make us better.  Savoring the joy in that sacred moment makes us feel more whole and ready to keep going on to the next day we have been given.

The last couple of weeks have been a struggle.  However, I feel like after the storm came several sacred moments that my mind was clear enough to recognize as sacred.  How blessed am I that I was able to read that in hindsight and see all of those blessed moments for what they were? 

A conversation with someone I love...

The smell of a new book I get to open for the first time...

The adventure I get to go on when I open that book...

The mile I ran so fast I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest...

The gift I could buy someone that may have been little but meant the world to give...

The sweet tea from McDonalds I bought before school...

The little things and the big things that weave their way through my life each day are what I praise Him for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik