Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Rossford Park Bench

Summer is when things finally slow down for us and since I don't have to be at work at 7 in the morning I normally walk and/or run in the mornings before anyone else wakes up.  I have learned that it is good for the soul.  It is necessary this time of year especially as I walk towards Charlie's birthday and then angel day.

This morning after my walk I made my way to Rossford Park.  I have been running several miles there each morning, breaking to sit on Charlie's bench after each mile.  This morning a sweet man walked by and said, "Good morning."  His dog slowed him down and as I talked to his dog he stopped and then said, "It is a beautiful morning, isn't it?"  I agreed and then our conversation continued.  I can't remember exactly what we were talking about but at some point I explained why he would see me on this bench all summer long most mornings.

There are so many times I don't let people into this part of my heart.  So many people that ask me
"How many kids do you have?" and I answer "...just two." But some people make grieving people feel safe.  Without even knowing it they seem to have this quiet spirit about them that lets you know it is ok to say your child's name.  Apparently this gentleman this morning was one of those people.  I explained a bit more about Charlie's story and then he continued on his walk and I ran an additional mile.

We both finished our walk/run around the same time and as I walked towards the hill to go home we crossed paths one last time.  He reached out and said, "Can I ask you something?"  I responded with, "Of course!" And he continued to ask if he could pray with me.  I have no idea if my heart was heavy and hanging out of my chest or what made him stop me but if that was not the Holy Spirit telling him to stop me and pray for me I don't know what is.  It was the kindest most special prayer and from someone that I don't even know but who lives just up the street from us.

I will cherish that moment for a long time and I'll remain thankful that this morning was a moment I was able to say Charlie's name to a perfect stranger.            

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik