Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Proud Brother

After my own visit to the doctor, Johnny's fever spiked, and he also needed to head to the doctor. 

The story starts at 4:45 just after I dropped Macy off at dance.  I thought I may sneak away to get my nails done.  I didn't really care about getting them done but I wanted to sit somewhere alone and kind of zone out for a bit.  Before I headed that way I wanted to grab my medicine.  I had every intention of headed towards the nail salon when John called.  He was a little bit rattled and thought we needed to take Johnny to the doctor to check for strep and flu because his fever was quite a bit higher than it had been all day. 

We checked in with the promise of an hour and forty five minute wait.  Johnny wrapped himself around me and laid on my shoulder.  He was nervous and absolutely miserable.  It made my heart stop just thinking about him in pain.  It took me all the way back to Charlie laying in his hospital bed while someone suctioned his mouth and cleaned all the breathing apparatuses.  Then just like that I was back when they called John's name. 

The nurse was very kind.  She talked to him and let him know exactly what she was doing so that he wasn't surprised.  He answered all of her questions and let her take a throat culture and then let her do a flu test.  He didn't cry.  He just sat and waited for the next question or direction.  Finally the doctor came in and read the tests.  He did in fact have the flu and to be honest I think I may have cheered a little because at least we knew what it was.  At least we had an answer and a solution in medicine and rest.  John had to leave at this point to pick up Macy from dance while we finished up with a few additional questions.  Prescriptions were sent to the pharmacy and we were almost out the door.   

She remembered me mentioning John's sister and for some reason she asked me about her again.  The conversation went like this...   

Doctor: "Did you say he has a sister?"

Me: "Yes, he is a twin.  His twin sister was just sick over the weekend with similar symptoms."

Doctor: "Yes, that is right.  I just wanted to make sure we have that documented as well in case you need to bring him back in...and does he have a brother?"

My heart stopped.  This is one of those minutes where time freezes.  She doesn't need to know for any medical reason that he has a brother, but then I would be completely guilt ridden if I didn't mention that he does in fact have a brother.  I have no idea if time actually stopped or John sensed my hesitation but he picked up and answered without missing a beat.  He unapologetically answered that he does in fact have a brother.  He carried that moment for me and made sure that the doctor knew how proud of his brother he was.  He didn't think twice.     

Johnny: "Yes, his name is Charlie.  He is in heaven." 

Those were his exact words.  I will carry those words with me as well as that confident answer he gave so full of pride for the rest of my days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik