Wednesday, July 24, 2019

charity: water

It is an incredible thing to think that Charlie's short life is impacting other people's lives across the globe.  As I laid in bed the evening before Charlie's fifth birthday I thought about charity: water.  I had thought about it before but I wanted to start a fundraiser for Charlie for his fifth birthday.  It was a big birthday and I wanted to remember him and share Charlie Love in a big way.  In my opinion, clean water is the absolute best gift our family could give another.

So that is how it started.  It was a thought.  A thought that turned into a nudge.  That nudge from the Lord that wouldn't go away then turned into a crazy big goal.  A crazy big goal that had meaning.  Charlie had been in heaven (on his fifth birthday) for 1,808 days and since it was his fifth birthday we decided we would commemorate his day by asking 1,808 people to donate just $5 each.  If that many people donated $5 a piece we would raise $9040.00.   I was laying in bed thinking to myself, this is probably not going to happen but how neat would that be to donate all that money to charity: water if we did meet our goal.  So I set up a fundraiser on Facebook and then changed the automated goal from $200 to $9,040.  I shared it with friends and family and gave us 17 days to do the work.  Since Charlie lived for just 17 days I wanted to try and meet our goal by his angel day.

The evening before his fifth angel day we stayed up (after sharing the fundraiser again) and watched the donations come in!  Macy and Johnny stayed up and we played with sidewalk chalk while we waited.  Right at 8:28 PM (the day BEFORE Charlie's angel day) a long time family friend donated $87; the exact amount we needed to meet our goal.  We had officially raised $9,040.  I stared at my phone screen humbled and honored to be able to share 100% of that money with charity: water.  We were reminded in that instant that no one in heaven is thirsty and we want to experience that here on earth as well.  Charlie's life is changing lives.  Charlie's short, 17 day life is changing lives.

Charity: water founder, Scott Harrison, reached out and wanted to help allocate a water project in Charlie's name to honor his legacy.  He also donated $90.40 of his own personal money to our project.  I couldn't believe he emailed and also donated.  It was super special!

Since then, I have received other emails and correspondence from charity: water.  Just today I received an email from charity: water key relationships officer explaining next steps for our project.  In the next few weeks they will have a list of projects that we will be able to choose from in the 10K range.  Once we choose a project they will use the money we raised to begin the implementation process and send our dollars to the field in January!  A few hours later I received another email.  Their key relationships officer, Paige, looked up Fort Thomas and realized how close to Cincinnati we are.  She explained she will be in Cincy the week of August 14th.  She wants to connect in person!  Of course, I plan to move around just about anything that week (aside from the first day of school, of course) in order to meet her and chat about Charlie's well.  I can't wait to meet her and continue to develop a plan with her for Charlie's legacy.

People somewhere across the globe will get to drink CLEAN water in January because of all of YOU and because of Charlie's fifth birthday fundraiser.  I just needed to say thank you again.  Do you want to know more about charity: water?  Watch the video I linked below!  It is worth every single second of your time!

Charity: Water

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik