Monday, January 2, 2017

Adventures in our City

Today was a special day.  I had two choices.  I could spend the day working at school and/or at home to prepare for the upcoming week with students or I could spend my last day off with my family.  In keeping with my New Years resolution I decided it would be way more worth it to be completely present with my family.

We decided around 10:00 this morning that we would venture out and see the train display at Krohn Conservatory in Eden Park before Christmas was completely boxed up and put away until next December.  I had never been there before.  The entire first room was set up to look just like our city.  The bridges were perfect, Mount Adams had a special spot up on a hill, and the trains traveled all over the city, which thrilled Johnny.  I am glad that I saw smiles and heard the twins laugh.  I am so happy that I chose to take on that adventure today.




After we finished up at Krohn, we decided why stop there?!  We have the entire day off and we can do whatever we want.  We went ahead and made our way to the Newport Aquarium.  The last time we visited we purchased passes because it is worth the money if you visit there more than twice a year.  Since this was our second time in just two months we all agreed that it was worth it.  The twins ran through the exhibits, stopping at all of their favorites.  The seahorses and the sharks never disappoint.  Macy also finally conquered her fear of the shark bridge.  Had we not made time today to go do something together we would't have had the privilege of seeing our sweet little girl so proud of herself.  She has never been able to walk across that bridge.  She battles herself literally the entire time through the aquarium until we finally get there and she cries and wants to do it but cannot make herself.  It was a victorious moment for her and for us!  John and Johnny finished just before us and turned to see her walk across. Johnny cheered his sister on and kept her moving with his sweet words of encouragement!  He was also so proud.  I am so happy that I chose to be present on that adventure today.





It was a great day.  It was a day that I will cherish.  The smiles and the hugs and the giggling made my day.  I will remember those sounds through all the hard days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik