Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Lion

John and I crawled in bed last night (technically our last night of Christmas break) and decided to find a movie.  We normally do not have the same taste in movies unless it is a suspense film so we always start there when we start searching.  We browsed and we looked and when we had almost given up John found a movie called Lion.  I realize as I type this we are a year (or maybe two) late to the game with not having seen this yet but I can officially say we have seen it and we loved it.  Every single second of it.  And I know this is extreme but it is officially my absolute favorite movie.  I cannot say enough great things about the movie.  But I think I'll try to say just a few because you need to know.

1. The entire first half of the movie ripped my heart out of my chest and stomped on it.  I literally couldn't watch and couldn't stop watching at the exact same time.  The poor sweet little boy was lost and then almost taken and then stuck in a place that was trying to help him but just couldn't do it well.  It made my heart hurt for kids everywhere that do not have their mom and dad tucking them in each night.

2. The family that adopted him stole my heart in the best kind of way.  Towards the end of the movie their son said something about being sorry they couldn't have their own kids and his mom's response was so sincere and so amazing.  She explained that they could have their own kids but they chose not to.  They chose to have two little boys that needed them.  They chose them and everything about them.   She said they were their children.  

3. I wish I could explain the amount of tears that fell from my eyes.  My pillow was wet.  I can't even explain how amazing and also how sad the story was.  It was beautiful and eye opening and I think you should go watch it.  

4.  The reunion with his mom and then the voicemail he left for his mom and dad in Australia was all so overwhelming.  It was incredible seeing him hug his mom and hold her close.  It was the thing we cheered for the entire movie and it finally happened.  He could stop pretending she was encouraging him as he lifted pebbles into a small cup and he could stop having flashbacks with little hope for a reunion.  It happened and he was grateful for the family that raised him but also for the family that loved him and never gave up hope that he may return.  

5. His girlfriend in the movie is the epitome of unconditional love.  She cared for him and encouraged him and pushed him and waited for him.  When it counted she let him have his space and then when he was ready she welcomed him back with open arms and didn't question his need for the space.  They were good together and I think she helped him get to the place he needed to be so that he could find his family.  

6. His brother helped me remember that we all have things that are difficult and hard to control.  Even when it seemed like he could "be better" or act differently it was apparent that some of his emotion and actions were out of his control.  I think it helped me remember how important grace is for others and for ourselves.

7. The main character did an incredible job.  I think if it was up to me I would have awarded him with   an academy award for best actor.  He definitely deserved it after that performance.  It was a hard story to tell and he did it very well with the upmost respect for the people that actually lived it.  I was impressed.     

I could absolutely go on with the things I learned, the thoughts the movie provoked, or the amount of tears that I cried but I'll stop here.  I think if you have not seen it you need to rent it NOW and watch it.  It is well worth the 120 minutes you will spend in tears.  I promise.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741834/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik