Saturday, April 28, 2018

Good Days

There are days that are good and then there are days that are so good.

The day was April 17th and we started it just like every other school day.  John and I always drive to school separately in case one of us has an event or meeting after school.  He is normally there a bit earlier than I am but eventually we say our school "good mornings" as we pass one another in the hallway or on our way in and out of the workroom or the office.  On this particular day I had lost my May Designs folio with my entire. life. in. it.  I was a bit panicked and to be honest I had given up on the fact that John may be getting good (or bad) news at some point this week.  We were told the hiring committee would be meeting for an additional debriefing at some point this week so "news" of the assistant principal position was not on our radar on that hectic Monday morning at 8:00 am.  I walked by his classroom frantically searching for my notebook and saw Bill Bradford, our assistant superintendent, in John's classroom.

My mind completely switched gears and I started talking myself into good news.  He certainly wouldn't start his Monday morning off with bad news, right?!  I walked by very casually and made a detour into another classroom because while we are married we try really hard not to cross that personal line at school.  I didn't want to be the crazy wife ready and waiting to hear the final decision because in all honesty I just happened to walk by at the exact moment Mr. Bradford was walking out of John's classroom.  I had to play it cool.  I sat and thought about the road to this moment...

John had spent his entire career committed to doing what was right for students and what was right for Fort Thomas Independent schools.  When he started thinking about aspiring to be an administrator he took on new roles that would help him gain insight and experience in that area.  I was proud to watch him grow, learn, and make up his mind to persist and become an administrator in his hometown.  This particular interview was his third attempt at acquiring a role of this capacity.   We wanted it for him so badly.

So once I knew the coast was clear, I snuck into his classroom and after what felt like an eternity I got two thumbs up and the biggest smile I have ever seen on his face.  He got the job!  He was the new assistant principal at Woodfill and Johnson Elementary School.  He deserved that moment and he deserved every single congratulations he got from that moment on!  It was a good day.  He was on cloud nine.

Later that afternoon I received a text from a friend that said, "I love how John was named on the 17th.  What a little Charlie wink!"  It's amazing how many joy filled things now occupy the 17th.  It is always a difficult day for me and I always grab my Charlie jewelry to glance at throughout the day but when something like this happens on the 17th of a month and your smile spreads across your face without you even trying you know God makes all things good.  You know He really wants us to have the desires of our hearts.  You know He gives grace and hope where only He can.  

It was a good day.  I am thankful for the good days, the joy filled days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik