Monday, April 6, 2020

Big Oakie

Have you ever done something really hard (and even fought with yourself about whether or not you actually wanted to do it as you were trying to do it) and then looked back on it and realized it was one of the most fun thing you have ever done?! 

I was thinking about this when John and Macy and I went on a hike in the Tree Trails in Fort Thomas.  We made it to the tree they have lovingly named "Big Oakie."  They love this tree and know that when it comes up in the trail they want to stop and see if they can actually get inside.  It has an opening big enough for them to fit in to and then once they are in it there is actually a little more room to move around.  They have never before had the courage to crawl inside. 

Once we made it to "Big Oakie" on this particular hike they were determined to get inside of it.  They tried.  They changed their minds.  They attempted again.  They got their head inside and then got nervous and backed up quickly to ensure they wouldn't get stuck.  There were even tears streaming down Macy's face as she tried and then got too nervous and backed up.  She looked at me and said, "I am not going any further on this trail until I do this!"  They were both determined but also so so scared.  After probably 20-30 minutes of trying and failing they finally both did it!  The success of Macy's was just the push John needed to do it too.  When they got inside they were not completely relieved because they still feared whether or not they would be able to get out.  Obviously I knew they were going to be fine.  I wouldn't have let them do it if I thought they were in any real danger. 

It reminded me of God and some of the things we are going through right now.  The parallels are not perfect but it reminded me that for most of us, this pandemic will impact us in small ways compared to others.  We will have to stay home more than normal, we will grocery shop alone with masks covering our faces, and our "normal lives" will be impacted and put on hold.  We may feel uncomfortable while we are in the midst of it all just like Macy and John did as they tried to get inside the trunk of that tree, but I have a feeling when we look back it may be some of the sweetest time we spend with our families.  When we walked away from that tree they said, "That was really fun!"  If you had been there as a witness I have a feeling you may not have thought that was the most "fun" part of the hike, but they did!  They enjoyed figuring it out and being pushed outside if their comfort place. 

I think this crisis could teach us all to be still more.

I think we may learn to take advantage of our time without distractions.

I think we could even look back and say, "That was fun." 

Obviously, some people are experiencing different stories than our own.  Some of our doctors and nurses, and food service friends are on the front lines.  I am not in any way downplaying any of that or the seriousness of this virus but for those of us staying home and waiting this out, I hope we can look back and think that wasn't as bad I thought it was going to be.  I hope being interrupted and pushed makes us better and stronger than before.         

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik